FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: March 1, 2012
Contact: Rose Willems, Measure “C” Advocate (559) 681-9369 or Rose_Willems@ dot.ca.gov
Academy Ave. Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
24th Annual Blossom Day Festival
March 3, 2012
(SANGER, CA) – The community is invited to join the “Grand Opening” celebration for the completion of 23-miles of the Academy Avenue Widening Project. This $32.4 million transportation project is locally-funded through the Measure C half-cent sales tax. The Fresno County Transportation Authority in partnership with the County of Fresno, the City of Sanger and the Sanger Chamber of Commerce are cutting the ribbon to the mark the completion of the 1-mile phase of Academy Avenue in the City of Sanger. Emmett’s Excavation from Clovis, CA was the contractor on this $4 million phase of construction.
The Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the Academy Avenue Project will begin at 9:30 a.m. with the following speakers at the Measure C Roadshow located at 7th and “N” street:
• Judy Case, Vice Chair, Fresno County Transportation Authority
• Pastor Sam Estes, Chair-Elect, Sanger Chamber of Commerce
• Debbie Poochigian, Chair, Fresno County Board of Supervisors
• Joshua D. Mitchell, Mayor, City of Sanger
• Marcus P. Johnson, Superintendent, Sanger Unified School District
“The Fresno County Transportation Authority in partnership with the County of Fresno and the City of Sanger would like to thank residents, businesses and commuters for their patience during this much anticipated project,” said Judy Case, Vice Chair of the Fresno County Transportation Authority. “The economic impact this Corridor will have on the City of Sanger and the County as a whole is one we look forward to and can attribute to Fresno County’s Measure C half-cent sales tax program.”
The 24th Annual Blossom Day Festival, Run and Car Show will draw thousands during the one-day event held in Downtown Sanger. The Festival is a Valley favorite that’s packed full of arts and crafts, kid’s activities, food booths, a car show and races for all ages. Many visitors enjoy the 62-mile self-guided Fresno County Blossom Trail, where they see the beautiful blossoms from the stone fruit and nut trees in Sanger and the surrounding areas in southeast Fresno County.
Event Festivities Include:
• Blossom Trail Races with over 1,500 participants (beginning at 7:30 a.m.)
• Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for Academy Avenue Widening Project (9:30 a.m.)
• Live Entertainment from Sanger Unified School District (11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., & 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.).
• Car Show Awards (2:30 p.m.) • Arts and Crafts (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) • Food Booths (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
• Blood Mobile (11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at 7th & “N”) • Sanger Library Book Sale (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
• Sanger Depot Museum (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) MEDIA PARKING: Behind Measure C Roadshow located off Academy Avenue at 8th & “N”.